Genetic Counseling Fieldwork
At the heart of the Bay Path Genetic Counseling Program lies an extensive network of in-person fieldwork opportunities.
Students will complete 4 clinical rotations (840 hours) of fieldwork, training under the supervision of board certified genetic counselors and geneticists. The program is designed to provide a developmental approach in which students are expected to gradually take on additional clinical roles and responsibilities to eventually master the Practice Based Competencies defined by the American Board of Genetic Counseling.
The following is the typical clinical rotation scheme:
- First Year - Spring: 1 day/week for 10 weeks
- Second Year - Summer: 7 weeks full-time; Fall and Spring: 2 days/week
The Genetic Counseling Program partners with numerous clinical genetics centers in Western Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, and New England. Additional training sites located anywhere, nationally or internationally, may contribute to a specific student's clinical work, especially as a summer internship.
The following are a few of the clinical sites where our students will engage in fieldwork:
• Bay State Medical Center, Springfield, MA
• Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT
• St. Vincent's Hospital, Bridgeport, CT
• UCONN Health, Farmington, CT
• Yale New Haven Medical Center, New Haven, CT
• Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
• The Ferre Institute, Albany and Binghamton, NY
• Genetic Counseling Services, Inc, Schenectady, NY
• Health Quest Affiliates, Poughkeepsie, NY
• Pediatric Specialty Care (CF), Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME