Genetic Counseling Fieldwork
At the heart of the Bay Path Genetic Counseling Program lies an extensive network of in-person fieldwork opportunities.
Students will complete 4 clinical rotations (840 hours) of fieldwork, training under the supervision of board certified genetic counselors and geneticists. The program is designed to provide a developmental approach in which students are expected to gradually take on additional clinical roles and responsibilities to eventually master the Practice Based Competencies defined by the American Board of Genetic Counseling.
The following is the typical clinical rotation scheme:
- First Year - Spring: 10 days
- Second Year - Summer: 35 days; Fall and Spring: 30 days
The Genetic Counseling Program partners with numerous clinical genetics centers in Western Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, and New England. Additional training sites are located across the country and more are added annually, as possible, to meet our students' needs.
The following are a few of the current clinical sites where our students may engage in fieldwork:
• Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA
• Hartford Healthcare, Hartford & New Britain, CT
• UCONN Health, Farmington, CT
• Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Medical Center, New Haven, CT
• Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, Providence, RI
• Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
• The Ferre Institute, Albany and Binghamton, NY
• Genetic Counseling Services, Inc, Schenectady, NY
• Health Quest Affiliates, Poughkeepsie, NY
• Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
• St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
• University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
• University of Illinois, Peoria, IL
• Spectrum Health, Grand Rapids, MI