Genetic Counseling Learning Experiences
Along with our extensive network of in-person fieldwork opportunities, our students receive many other valuable learning experiences in Genetic Counseling as well.
Objective: Genetic counseling students will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to conduct an independent research project of importance in the genetic counseling field.
The goal of the research courses and activities is for students to know how to plan, conduct, and evaluate research. Bay Path University Genetic Counseling students construct a research proposal in the Research Design course. Throughout the two years of the program, students are mentored in the process of planning, implementing and evaluating an independent research project under the purview of the capstone courses. Students present their research results at the annual BPU Academic Achievement Day. They also submit abstracts to the New England Regional Genetics Group and National Society of Genetic Counselors (or other relevant professional meetings) for presentation at the regional and national levels. Crossing into clinical settings, the program provides opportunities for students to work with genetic counselors who are involved in research studies.
- Students may give presentations to local high schools and college students on the career of genetic counseling and other topics.
- Genetic counseling students could learn alongside other students in OT, art and music therapy, special education, and psychology at the Guild school, which provides special education and residential services for children, teens and young adults.
Additional Learning Opportunities
• JAX Education, Jackson Laboratory
• CT Newborn Screening Laboratory
• NY Newborn Screening Laboratory
• Telegenetics training through NERGG
• Bay Path Academic Achievement Day
• Genetics/Genomics Seminars
• NERGG conferences
• MSGC Program recruitment activities
• Signature scholarship activities
• Genetics/genomic supplemental webinars and conferences
• NSGC Annual Conference
• GeneDx Laboratory course
• NORD Rare Disease Day Event
• GC professional recruitment conferences
• Cultural competency webinars and conferences
• HHS presentations