Parents & Caregivers
Transitioning to college can be difficult for parents and caregivers who support their student. This page is meant to help you learn more about this transition, how to talk to your student about mental health, and what support you can provide them.
If you are worried about your student’s mental health please let them know they can call or email the Counseling Center for help.
We are here for your student.
Did you know?
- 1 in 5 college students experience a mental health condition.
- 75% of mental health conditions begin by age 24.
- 63% of students say they would turn to family if they were in emotional distress.
- Parents and caregivers can provide support - even over the phone - with simple communication and referral skills.
- Early recognition of warning signs, effective communication of support, and referral to professional help can save a life (or lives).
- Recovery is Possible! Most people with mental health problems can get better. Treatment and recovery are ongoing processes that happen over time. The first step is getting help.