Reading Specialist Licensure Program Certificate
Bay Path University's Reading Specialist Licensure (25 credits) focuses on learning experiences that combine cognitive, neuroscientific, and educational research focused on the science of reading. Students learn structured literacy skills and strategies that are direct, explicit, systematic, cumulative, diagnostic, and multi-modal. Online instruction-led learning experiences include frequent collaboration, guided inquiry, and deliberate practice.
BAY PATH'S READING SPECIALIST LICENSURE CERTIFICATE:
- For candidates seeking a Massachusetts Initial Licensure as a Reading Specialist (all levels). This license is a second initial license.
- Candidates must have at least an initial license and have taught under that license for one year.
- Candidates must pass two Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure: Communication and Literacy and Reading Specialists tests.
- Candidates must complete 150 hours in a Public School or Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) approved special education private school.
- Candidates must successfully complete all program courses.
For consideration, applicants must submit the following admission requirements:
- A completed application - Apply Now
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts (a GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred)
- An original essay of 300-500 words on the topic: "Why the MSEd/EdS in Reading & Literacy Instruction is important to my personal and professional goals"
- A current resume
- Two recommendations - Click here to download the form
- A signed program requirement form - Click here to download the form
- A copy of MTEL results
- A copy of your current teaching license
- Complete an interview phone call with the Program Coordinator
All documentation including recommendation forms and official transcripts may be mailed or emailed directly to Bay Path University Office of Graduate Admissions:
East Longmeadow Campus:
Bay Path University
Office of Graduate Admissions
588 Longmeadow Street
Longmeadow, MA 01106