"Data Scientists are tasked with 'extracting non-obvious and useful patterns from large data sets." - John Kelleher and Brendan Tierney
In order to do this they need to be part of a team with a wide variety of skills. We will discuss the different roles and skills that are needed on successful data science projects.
These include :
- Domain Expertise, knowing what problems should be solved and what can be action-ed
- Data Ethics and Regulations, what data are you allowed to use
- Data Wrangling and Databases, a large portion of a data science project is spent in this activity
- Data Visualization, effect display of large data sets is key for understanding the models
- Statistics and Probability, understanding analytical techniques
- Machine learning, what models apply and how do you interpret the results.
- Communication, the best model in the world won't be used if it is not communicated correctly
There are many paths to building these skills we will focus on how properly trained Subject Mater Experts (SMEs) can play a key role in leading data science initiatives.