Help individuals live longer, healthier, happier and more successful lives by focusing your Health Service Administration studies on Health and Wellness.
Why Health & Wellness at The American Women’s College?
Health and wellness positions are critical, as organizations and employers work to develop, implement, and sustain comprehensive wellness initiatives.
Health and wellness positions are predicted to grow by 27% as health concerns and healthy living continues to grow in importance in the minds of the American consumer. In the past, these positions were most often associated with fitness and nutrition centers or organizations. Furthermore, the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) has listed a new type of position that is growing among employers across the nation. SHRM describes this position as a “management-level individual who leads a company’s wellness efforts—defining the wellness mission in an organization and working to improve health and well-being companywide.”
The Health and Wellness program prepares you to become an active provider and educator of healthful processes, activities, and programs and will prepare you to further the missions of health and wellness organizations and help employers meet the objectives of worksite wellness programs.
By studying Health and Wellness, you will:
- Learn to view health and wellness as a balance of the mind, body, and spirit.
- Utilize the seven dimensions of wellness: physical, mental (intellectual), emotional, environmental, social, spiritual and occupational.
- Design a comprehensive plan of health and wellness/ fitness/nutrition/health screening utilizing best theories and practices.
- Study the unique fitness and nutritional needs of children, women, and men.
- Apply principles of nutrition in designing food plans over the lifespan to foster a healthy community.
- Design appropriate physical fitness plans over the lifespan addressing both age and physical ability resulting in a healthy community.
- Identify appropriate health screening tools/exams fostering health prevention and wellness through early detection.
The Health and Wellness major allows you to apply 18 credits of previous healthcare or sciences course work to this degree’s healthcare core requirements.
This program is perfect for health service students and professionals, such as licensed practical nurses, dental hygienists and certified nursing assistants, who are required to finish a bachelor’s degree yet find that their previous college credits do not transfer into management programs. This program is also great for students with no experience in the health and wellness field.
A degree in this field could lead to the management of health care operations at facilities like hospitals, physician's offices, diagnostic centers, nursing facilities, government agencies and health insurance companies. You may coordinate medical service delivery, oversee staff, manage the budget and insurance billing, and ensure regulatory compliance.