Q & A with Dr. Andrea Hickson-Martin
Dr. Andrea Hickson-Martin, EdD, Graduate Program Director, Elementary and Early Childhood Education and Associate Professor, holds professional certifications in elementary and middle school teaching and administration, high school administration, instructional technology, and sheltered English immersion. She used these credentials well in Massachusetts’s urban schools, where she served for 20 years as an award-winning master teacher and assistant principal. Bay Path’s education students now benefit from her extensive work experience and her passion for conversations about diversity and inclusion in education. Beyond Bay Path, Dr. Hickson-Martin and her wife Kathy enjoy attending live theater performances, and sporting events, traveling, and training their Golden Retriever, Piper, as a therapy dog.
What do you love about Early Childhood Education / Elementary Education?
I love the “aha” moment -- seeing a student’s face light up when they finally understand something. And I love seeing a student many years later and finding out that I made a difference in their life.
What’s the value of a degree in Early Childhood Education / Elementary Education?
- Career opportunity: Teaching is an exciting career with invaluable rewards, including an average salary of $82,600 for elementary teachers in Massachusetts. It is also a growing field with job growth of preschool teachers at 7% between 2018-2028
- Career readiness: The degree prepares you for current trends and challenges in education, such as streamlining assessments and increasing instruction time, making technology an integral part of the classroom rather than an add-on, and meeting diverse needs of special education students, gifted students, and English language learners.
Why choose Bay Path for graduate work in Early Childhood Education / Elementary Education?
- For our faculty’s extensive experience teaching in public schools.
- For small classes where you are not “just a number,” and faculty are attentive to your individual needs and learning style.
- For the flexibility to attend full-time or part-time, to earn a degree with or without licensure.
- For our cutting-edge curriculum supported by “hot topics” discussions and guest speakers.
- For the University’s strong reputation among principals who have hired Bay Path grads.
- For our virtual peer communities developed through online discussion posts and live Zoom conversations.
Click to learn more about Bay Path University's Masters in Early Childhood Education Online (MSEd/EdS) program.
Click to learn more about Bay Path University's Masters in Elementary Education (MSEd/EdS ) program