Frequently asked questions regarding financial aid.  

Expand All

You will need the following documents to complete the FAFSA: 

Your Federal tax return and all W-2 forms for the year prior to the upcoming school year. 

Your parent's Federal tax return and all W-2 forms (if you are dependent). 

Bank statements for checking, savings, and investment accounts. 

Business and farm financial records (if applicable). 

Your spouse's Federal tax return and all W-2 forms (if applicable).


The first step is to complete the admissions process and be admitted into a degree-seeking program. Next, you must file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), which you can find at http://fafsa.ed.gov


We suggest that you submit your FAFSA by February of the year you are planning on attending. This will leave plenty of time for your application to be received by the federal aid processor.


Our Title IV Code is: 002122. This code is required on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).


The Office of Student Financial Services is open from 8:30 - 5:00, Monday thru Friday. We are also open Wednesday evenings until 6:30 and most Saturdays from 8:30 to 2:00. Our office is located on the first floor of the Annex building.


Our phone number is 413.565.1256 or 413.565.1177. Our fax number is 413.565.1101. Our mailing address is:

Bay Path University

Office of Student Financial Services

588 Longmeadow Street

Longmeadow, MA 01106

Email: admissions@baypath.edu


No, you should not submit tax forms unless we specifically ask for them. Paperwork that is not required causes us to take time away from reviewing information that WAS requested.


No, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) allows estimates for income and tax information if the applicant and/or applicant's parents have not yet completed federal tax forms. 

On the FAFSA, just select "Will file". If you do estimate, keep in mind that you must correct your FAFSA later with the actual tax figures, since you are obligated by law to report an accurate picture of your family's finances.

We prefer that you file the FAFSA with estimates instead of waiting for a completed federal tax return, if waiting for your tax return will prevent you from meeting our priority-processing deadline.


The FAFSA instructions give the following explanation: 

"If your parents are divorced or separated, answer the questions about the parent you lived with more during the past 12 months. (If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the last 12 months, or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent.)". If this parent is remarried as of today, answer the questions on the rest of the FAFSA about that parent and the person whom your parent married (your stepparent).


Yes, you do. Federal financial aid law states that if your biological parents are divorced, and you live with the parent who has remarried, you must include the stepparent's income information on the FAFSA, since you are considered part of that person's household. This is the case even if your parent and your stepparent file separate federal tax returns. You complete the FAFSA by adding the amounts from both of the tax returns together


The Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA records for a process known as "verification;" colleges are required to confirm or verify specific data elements from the FAFSA according to current federal regulations. The Office of Student Financial Services is not able to accept copies of tax return documents. Students selected for verification will be required to submit official IRS transcripts for themselves and their parents to the college unless they use the data retrieval process and do not make any changes to that data.